Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dandelion Pollen

Last night I finally caught 'Water Lilies' at Inside Out. I meant to see it at the Toronto Film Fest then at the Cinefranco Film Fest but missed out. It played to a full theatre of mostly lesbians. And I loved the film! It is beautifully shot and well acted. I really appreciate the attention to little details and the importance of gesture in the film. Why does everything need to be spelled out in North American cinema? 'Water Lilies' also features a great score by Para One, known for his electro sound on Institubes. http://www.myspace.com/paraone





I also finally payed a visit to the Glad Day Bookshop- the first Canadian and second longest surviving lesbian and gay bookstore worldwide. I don't know what took me so long. Though it is a bit cramped between the shelves, it is a nice feeling. http://www.gladdaybookshop.com/

Check it out if you are ever in Toronto.

I picked up C. Bard Cole's 'Briefly Told Lives' based on Dennis Cooper's praise for it on the back cover and I can't put it down! The story "Used to Dream" really grabbed me.




I also picked up the new 'Remixed and Remastered' dvd of one of my old favs, Gregg Araki's 'The Living End.' Can't wait to see (and hear) the fresh, new print.




Dandelion pollen was drifting around on the breeze today. I had my interview for next year. One more year of film school left and then the real world. How scary. Anyway, you submit two scripts and have an interview and the profs select who gets to direct next year. My interview went well. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I picked up the new Presets album. I'll let you know what I think.

The End

No comments: